What is an IRS Claim for Refund?

An IRS claim for refund is, in most cases, a form you file when you ask for money back that you overpaid to the IRS. The critical thing: A claim for refund is time-sensitive — essentially 3 years from the original due date of the return, or 2 years from the date of payment. If you’re too late, even by one day, the IRS gets to keep your money.


Common Claim for Refund types

Personal and corporate tax claims for refund

If you believe you have overpaid your personal or corporate tax, you have a limited amount of time in which to file a claim for a credit for refund. You can claim a credit or refund by filing by an amended tax return. Note: the older an amended return, the longer you can expect the claim for refund to process. Your claim may be be reviewed by human eyes, so it may get extra scrutiny and supporting documentation may have to be provided.


The important date however, is the date the IRS receives that claim, not the date the figures are actually processed.


Claim for refund on for an IRS-prepared return

If you have been assessed taxes through the a Substitute Filed Return (SFR), that is, a tax return the IRS did for you, typically this SFR amount is higher than what it would be if you actually filed a return. The IRS gives you a limited amount of time to claim a refund by filing your own, original tax return. We have usually done this for 1040 tax returns, but also for Payroll tax cases where a Revenue Officer created a Substitute Filed Form 941 that showed a higher payroll deposit requirement than actual. The original return that is filed is technically an “audit Reconsideration.”


Again, the older and larger the refund, the more scrutiny and time you should expect before you receive your refund from the IRS.


Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement on Trust Fund Penalty Assessments, 6672, the Civil Penalty

If you believe you have wrongly been assessed a Trust Fund Penalty Assessment, you may be able to “reverse” that assessment through a Form 843 claim for refund— even if you have not paid anything. The process is quite convoluted, but it is possible to prevail.


Now, while it it is true you can settle a trust fund penalty with an Offer in Compromise, you will have to pay something. So it is best, if possible, to try eliminating a wrongfully assessed trust fund penalty with a Claim for Refund first.


Others types of a Claim for Refund

Other types of an IRS claim for Refund include Form 8849 Claim for Refund of Excise Taxes, and Form 6181 Claim for Refund of Tax Return Preparer and Promoter Penalties.



If you have a tax issue, or if you need help filing a claim for refund then contact us to schedule a free consultation. You can call us at 888-727-8796 or email info@irsmedic.com


Claim for Refund Success story:

Diane Wilson*, a self-employed certified financial planner, was in a jam. An investment property she owned had been on the market for awhile. She finally received a favorable offer, but the deal was in jeopardy because of some outstanding tax liens for $450,000. Although Diane believed she only owed a fraction of the amount, she paid in full so the property could close on time.


Diane came to IRSMedic hoping we might be able to recoup some of the IRS payment. We determined that she hadn’t documented her capital gains properly over several years. Our staff filed amended returns, and Diane received $375,000 back from the IRS. For more IRSMedic success stories, click here.


*Identities and certain facts have been changed to protect the identities of clients. These stories aren’t intended to be a promise of how your case will turn out. All facts are different, and, outside of tax or federal court, approval of the final resolution is up to the IRS.


IRSMedic.com is the website for Parent & Parent LLP, a tax law firm of IRS resolution attorneys, Certified Public Accountants, and Enrolled Agents who want to be the team that permanently resolves your tax problem where others have failed. We have developed a proven system of solving any tax problem in the least amount of time, for the smallest amount of headache. Our firm is located in Connecticut, but we serve US taxpayers worldwide for IRS, US Tax Court and state revenue agency issues.