How To File A Complaint With The IRS

Here are two ways to complain to the IRS about employee misconduct:

1. Complain with the Treasury Inspector General

  • Call (800) 366-4484 to file a complaint with the IRS by phone.
  • Mail a written complaint to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration Hotline at P.O. Box 589, Ben Franklin Station, Washington, DC 20044-0589.
  • Email a complaint to Complaints@tigta.treas.gov, which goes to the TIGTA Hotline Complaints Unit.
  • Complete and submit the form online.


2. Call the National Taxpayer Advocate Office

  • Call (877) 777-4778 to complain
  • Or, go to the IRS web site to find the nearest office.